- GE’s Hardware and Digital Solutions Will Help Improve Flexibility, Availability, Reliability and Gas Turbine Power Output at Novel S.p.A.’s Power Plant in Novara
- Increased Output Will Create Additional Revenue Stream in the Italian “Electricity Market” for Novel’s Partners Alpiq and Radici Group
- Project Will Help Novel’s Main Customer Italian Radici Group Achieve Total Control Over Its Production from Chemicals to Nylon Value Chain While Improving a More Sustainable Power Fuel Mix
BADEN, SWITZERLAND—February 21, 2019—In alignment with the trend of decoupling steam production from power production in cogeneration applications in combined-cycle plants, Novel S.p.A. turned to GE Power (NYSE: GE) to modernize its power station in Novara, Italy. Novel is a joint venture between the Swiss energy company Alpiq and Geogreen, owned by Radici Group.
“We’re excited that GE’s hardware and software solutions will help us improve plant competitiveness in the Italian ‘Electricity Market’ and modernize this asset, which is a strategic move for Alpiq and Radici shareholders,” said Massimiliano Bignami, CEO of Novel S.p.A. “We trust GE's solutions will give our 100-megawatt combined-cycle power plant more flexibility, reliability and output with lower emissions, matching the sustainability targets of the company.”
GE will upgrade its GE gas turbine with an array of Fleet360* total gas plant services to increase power and steam for the industrial process at Radici Chimica’s chemical plant. The surplus power will be sold to the Italian “Electricity Market.” GE also will install its Asset Performance Management (APM) software solution—a first-of-its-kind digital solution for Novel—that includes predictive maintenance capabilities and 24/7 remote monitoring from GE’s global Monitoring & Diagnostics Center in Atlanta. GE also will provide its DLN 2.6 combustion system with Mark* VIe solutions, which will expand the power station's operational flexibility to meet its power demands while reducing costs.
“We look forward to taking our facility into the future with GE’s powerful predictive maintenance digital solutions that will help us decrease our operating expenses and increase overall power reliability,” said Maurizio Radici, vice president of Novel S.p.A.
These modernizations will improve asset management, enhance the Novara plant’s performance and ultimately help Radici Group be more competitive in the chemical industry at a global level.
“Today, additional flexibility to decouple steam production from power production is ‘the' trend in cogeneration applications at combined-cycle plants,” said Michael Rechsteiner, CEO of GE’s Power Services business in Europe. “Novel's choice to upgrade its gas turbine with GE’s APM software solution and DLN 2.6 pre-combustor system should be considered an industry best practice.”
Benefits of the Project by the Numbers
Specifically, GE’s total gas plant services solutions will improve Novel’s operations at the Novara power station, including:
- Providing the flexibility to reduce turn down from 60 percent to 38 percent, to be more opportunistic on the power generation, to double the power range and to improve margins on the Italian MSD (ancillary services market).
- Increasing gas turbine power by 3 percent and improving heat rate by 0.5 percent.
- Reducing emissions (30mg/Nm3 NOx and CO) to better address environmental requirements.
- Increasing availability from 8,000 to 24,000 outage intervals with the DLN 2.6 technology and increasing reliability by injecting digital technology for predictive maintenance.
- Replacing obsolete systems such as controls system and parts at the end of life.
GE expects to complete the upgrade in late summer 2019.
About Novel SPA
The Novel power plant is a 100-megawatt gas-fired cogeneration power plant. It is located in Novara (Piedmont). Novel is a partnership between Radici Group (49 percent shares) and the Swiss utility Alpiq (51 percent participation). The plant supplies electricity and steam to the nearby Radici Chimica chemical plant. The balance of the electricity is traded by Alpiq and Radici sales company, namely Alpiq Energia Italia and Geoenergie. The plant was supplied by STC-Atel on a turn-key basis in 2004. Operations and maintenance and overall management are executed by Alpiq Energia Italia. Since December, the power station has been certified by Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (Emas). Pursuant to the regulations of Emas, Novel commits itself to improve its environmental performance and to publish an environmental statement annually.
GE (NYSE: GE) drives the world forward by tackling its biggest challenges: Energy, health, transportation—the essentials of modern life. By combining world-class engineering with software and analytics, GE helps the world work more efficiently, reliably, and safely. For more than 125 years, GE has invented the future of industry, and today it leads new paradigms in additive manufacturing, materials science, and data analytics. GE people are global, diverse and dedicated, operating with the highest integrity and passion to fulfill GE’s mission and deliver for our customers. www.ge.com
About GE Power
GE Power is a world energy leader providing equipment, solutions and services across the energy value chain from generation to consumption. Operating in more than 180 countries, our technology produces a third of the world’s electricity, equips 90 percent of power transmission utilities worldwide, and our software manages more than forty percent of the world’s energy. Through relentless innovation and continuous partnership with our customers, we are developing the energy technologies of the future and improving the power networks we depend on today. For more information please visit www.ge.com/power, and follow GE Power on Twitter and on LinkedIn.
* Trademark of GE; may be registered in one or more countries.